Friday, August 3, 2012

Hair 101, Part 1! - Hair History + Hair Horror Story

To begin my first post on this blog I thought it'd be fun to do a Hair 101! I'm going to split this into two posts and begin today with my hair's past and present. Look out tomorrow for the second half where I talk about the products I use to maintain my hair and how I style it.

I have fine hair, always have and always will. Am I a fan of it? Well, to be honest, I wish I had thicker hair. I envy you thick-haired girls! I always go to the hair salon for a cut and bring a picture along and most of the time the hairdresser will tell me that the cut just can't be done. Why? Because my hair is fine. Most of the cuts I want have many layers and such, and with fine hair it just can't happen unless I want to look silly. In result, I haven't cut my hair since I took my senior picture which was...a year and eight months ago. Crazy, I know. My hair is also naturally wavy. I don't have extreme waves but my hair certainly isn't straight either.

I have dyed my hair before. A total of about 3 times. I haven't had the best luck with boxed dyes :P Naturally, my hair is a very dark brown. The first time I dyed my hair I tried to lighten it to a medium brown. That attempt failed and gave my hair a red tint. I didn't like the look of it at all so to get rid of it I dyed my hair black. A few months later I talked to my friend's mother and she suggested I use a hair dye with the word "Ash" in the name. She explained that the ash will help remove the reddish color. I did that and it worked, only it failed too. What happened was because I had previously dyed my hair black, the new dye only took to the crown of my head where my natural color had been growing in. Ever since then I have been growing out that color that started at my crown. It's still in my hair to this day and it actually looks like I have ombre hair now, lol. I guess it grew out right on time for the trend!

Altogether my hair isn't very hard to maintain. The only thing about my hair that bugs me is that it gets frizzy, and I don't have a lot of room for variety with cuts. I did have a random, spur of the moment problem with my hair once, though. It was back a year ago in March and I had just gotten out of the shower in the morning before school. I felt the crown of my head with my fingers and it had a waxy feeling to it. I thought maybe I had just missed a bit of shampoo so I hopped back into the shower to rinse. As I got out again, I felt the same waxy residue. I didn't have much time before I had to go so I just threw my hair into a ponytail for the day. Later when I got home I told my mom about it and she had no idea what it could be. I figured the only thing I could do was research it on Google, and I did just that. I came across a topic on a hair forum and found that many women were experiencing the same issue I was. It seems that all the girls had one thing in common. We were using Pantene shampoo. Now I'm not trying to bash the brand in anyway, but that was just the case. One girl, who was a hairdresser wrote in and gave everyone a method to get rid of the residue. So basically she said to get a small bottle of the original Listerine(it's more of a yellowish-brown color), and a clarifying shampoo. I went out to the store and bought the Listerine and I got a bottle of the Suave Clarifying Shampoo. I got into the shower and took 1-2 caps of the Listerine and massaged it into the crown of my head. After that I took the shampoo and used that like I would any other shampoo, but mainly focusing on the scalp. It worked! I was relieved, and ever since I haven't used a Pantene shampoo. It just seemed a little weird to me that we all shared that in common.

Have any of you experienced that same waxy residue?

No comments:

Post a Comment